What Is An Ergonomic Task Chair?
June 26th, 2016
Since the 1970s, ergonomics have been an important factor in the design of task chairs (chairs designed for office or home office work). In this article, we will look at what makes a task chair ergonomic, that is to say, whether it is designed with the safety and well-being of the user in mind.
Six Design Considerations in Ergonomic Task Chairs
The National Institute of Health (NIH) lists six factors that need to be taken into consideration when determining whether a task chair is ergonomic or not. These are as follows:-
1. Castors. An ergonomic chair should be mounted on wheels or castors, with at least a five point base to ensure that body weight is distributed evenly.
2. Seat Pan. The seat pan is, in the words of the NIH "the component of the chair that supports the majority of the user's weight" – or, in plain English, the part you put your bottom on (in most cases, though there are ergonomic body balance task chairs that distribute body weight evenly between the buttocks and the knees). The front of the seat pan should slope down slightly, and you should be able to place your fist between the back of your knees and the front of the seat to reduce pressure on the back of the thighs.
3. Back rest. The back rest should provide lumbar support. If it is not small enough to fit in the small of the back, it should be curved between the pelvis and the ribs.
4. Armrest should be soft and at least two inches wide in order to provide adequate support.
5. The seat height should be adjustable so that the user's feet are on the floor and their hands are level with your desk and/or computer keyboard.
6. The chair should recline or tilt in order to transfer the user's upper body weight to the backrest, and allow him or her to change position easily.
The Need for Ergonomic Task Chairs
Ergonomic task chairs evolved because of the need to keep employees sitting at their desks for long periods of time without losing days due to aches and pains, particularly back pain, caused by design flaws in their chairs. Nowadays, they are standard in virtually every office. The design of the modern office has made it necessary for office workers to be able to move around, hence the need for chairs with castors, and to turn from one task to another. For this reason, swivel chairs are no longer the preserve of executives, as they once were, but are used by any office worker who needs to perform their duties without injuring their back. Ergonomics should be a concern for any efficiently run office, and an ergonomic task chair is probably the single most important piece of equipment that an office's purchasing manager can provide to the workforce.
- Don’t Risk Repetitive Stress Injury – Buy An Ergonomic Chair
- Ergonomic Office Chair Promises No More Backaches, Or Discomfort
- Know Which Factors You Need To Consider To Pick The Best Ergonomic Office Chair
- Ergonomic Executive Office Chair: More Comfort Means Greater Productivity At Work
- Ergonomic Office Chair Review: More Information Means Wiser Purchasing Decisions
- Ergonomic Leather Office Chair: Luxurious Looks, Great Feel
- Mesh Ergonomic Office Chair: Enjoy Greater Softness And More Comfort
- Ergonomic Desk Chairs More Than Just A Chair
- The Best Ergonomic Desk Chair - Give Your Staff Something To Smile About
- Relief Can Be Found In An Ergonomic Kneeling Desk Chair
- The Age Of Comfort Starts With The Ergonomic Computer Desk Chair
- Mesh Ergonomic Desk Chairs An Ideal Representation Of Style, Comfort And Quality
- A Closer Look At Ergonomic Desk Chair Review
- What Is An Ergonomic Task Chair?
- Watch Your Back With The Ergonomic Body Balance Task Chair
- The Mid Back Ergonomic Task Chair
- What's The Best Ergonomic Task Chair For My Office?
- Ergonomic Task Chairs Reviewed And Rated
- Fabrics For Ergonomic Task Chairs
- Mesh Ergonomic Task Chair
- Creating A Healthier Environment For The Spine: Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- Giving The Back A Break: Ergonomic Kneeling Posture Chair
- Comfort At Work: Global Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- A Moving Alternative: Ergonomic Kneeling Chair With Back
- A Comfortable Success: Ergonomic Kneeling Chair Review
- Comfort While Typing: Ergonomic Kneeling Computer Chair
- Choosing Natural Comfort: Ergonomic Kneeling Office Chair
- Increasing Worker Energy With Ergonomic Posture Chairs
- Stress-free Backs With Ergonomic Posture Chairs With Backs
- Get What You Pay For With Ergonomic Kneeling Posture Task Chairs
- Combining Class With Quality In Wooden Ergonomic Posture Chairs
- Eliminate Workplace Aches With Ergonomic Posture Office Chairs
- Perfect Chair Without The Purchase With Ergonomic Kneeling Posture Chair Reviews
- Sit Easy With An Executive Ergonomic Chair
- Why Choose An Ergonomic Executive Office Chair
- Using A Boss Ergonomic Executive Office Chair
- Traditional Look With Ergonomic Executive Leather Chair
- Modern Comfort With An Executive Ergonomic Grey Mesh Chair
- Great Comfort With A Serta Ergonomic Executive Chair
- Kneeling Chair With Built In Desk
- Touch Up Ergonomic Posture
- Ergonomic Easy Chair
- Kobler Cato Chairs
- Enjoy Chair
- Ergonomic Chair Thoracis
- Steelcase Please
- Wooden Ergonomic Kneeling Chair
- Traditional Ergonomic Computer Desks
- Serta Office Chairs
- Ergonomic Wood Chair For Workplace
- Best Desk Chair For Back
- Nealing Office Chair Reviews
- Executive Chair Review
- Ergonomic Chair That Supports The Thoracic Spine
- How To Charge A Massage Chair
- No Stress Chair
- Serta Computer Chairs
- Kneeling Chair Reviews
- Side Effects Of Kneeling
- Office Chairs Koebler
- It Bones Desk Chairs
- Easy Stol
- Mid Back Vs High Back
- How To Get Serta Desk Chair To Recline
- Heated Office Chair Thoracic
- Steelcase Please Chair New Price
- Sore Back From Desk Chair
- Serta Office Chair